• Instagram
  • Facebook
  • TripAdvisor

PDF download, please select your language:

333 St Kilda Rd, St Kilda 3182 Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

+613 9537 3777 or 1800 202 500 (Aus. only)


[email protected]



Melbourne - Australia's most liveable city

...making it the perfect place to stay and play, and here at Habitat HQ we know that travelling and working often go hand in hand. Our friendly staff are more than happy to help point you in the right direction to get you working while you live it up in sunny St. Kilda.


Is it easy to get a job in St. Kilda and Melbourne?

St. Kilda and Melbourne both have a lively cafe and bar culture so are always hiring for casual employees, especially over the busy summer period. Many local businesses contact us directly for workers and our job board is always full with a variety of available positions.

But what do I need to do to get a job in Australia?


First up (little boring, I know) you’ll need to make sure your VISA allows you to work in Australia.

  • Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) are available to citizens from Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and the United Kingdom

  • Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) are available to citizens from Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey and the USA.


More information on working while on holiday in Australia can be found at the Australian Government – Department of Immigration and Citizenship as well as links to foreign Embassies in Australia.


Okay I’m here, now what?

All workers in Australia need an Australian Tax File Number (TFN) to get paid. You can apply for this online and get your number posted to you right here at Habitat HQ.


We can get help you set up your new Australian Bank account. We can also put you in touch with the best Tax Services for travelers that help you lodge your tax at the end of the financial year and collect any superannuation you earn.


What else can Habitat HQ help me with?

Habitat HQ offers all our guests free WiFi as well as mail collection and access to desktop computers and printing, scanning and copying facilities to help your job search.


We can also help you set up a bank account with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, and assist with your tax returns.


These facilities are great for writing and printing resumes, completing Responsible Service of Alcohol or Safe Food Handling courses and even scanning through your time sheet for the week. Our staff can help recommend the best job search websites and the best (secret) places in Melbourne to drop your resume.


Habitat HQ gives our guests great opportunities to volunteer with Conservation Volunteers Australia and is a WWOOF Agent. Volunteer and regional work looks great on your resume and gives you a unique Australian experience.



Willing Workers on Organic Farms gives you a great opportunity to work in and truly experience some of Australia’s best and most beautiful regional and rural areas.


Over 1200 certified organic farms take part in the scheme and is a must look if you’re interested in agriculture, horticulture, biodynamics, permaculture and sustainability.


Any other hot tips?

  • Healthcare in Australia can be quite expensive so it’s wise to have both travel and private health insurance, especially if you are staying and working in Australia on a more long-term basis.

  • Australia has reciprocal health care agreements with governments in the United Kingdom, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Norway, malta, Italy, Republic of Ireland and New Zealand which entitles their citizens to some subsidies health services in Australia. More information can be found at the Health Insurance Commission.

  • Bar work in Australia requires you to hold a Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate. Every Tuesday at HabitatHQ a RSA course is held which is essential if you want to work in hospitality in Victoria and Australian. This is a Nationally accredited one day course which you can use for working throughout Australia and Victoria.

  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black TripAdvisor Icon